Tuesday, October 21, 2014

The Human Side of Simon

 
                        My memory is a little hazy as to where exactly I met him, but I think it was in the computer room at the Hilton Garden Inn in Louisville, Kentucky.  I was attending a sheep show.  I’m not sure why he was there, unless maybe it was because of the auditions.

                        The “he” I am referring to is Simon Cowell, a judge on American Idol--- and virtually everything else American.  I hate to use this word because it is so over-used on that show, but I’d have to say our visit was truly “amazing.”

                        Simon and I were the only people in that tiny room, and he seemed very standoffish, much like he is on TV.  My mom always said if you can’t say anything nice about someone, then say nothing at all, so I’ll just let it go at that.

                        After a couple of minutes, however, I decided I would say something to him.  I told him my wife and I enjoyed his show.  He seemed pleased by that, and actually warmed up a bit.

                        As we talked more about what I would call “Idol” chit-chat, gone was the pomp and arrogance, Simon’s usual trademarks on the show, and for at least a short while, I think he even lost his British accent.  Not that having a British accent necessarily makes you pompous and arrogant, but in Simon’s case, it seems to work.

                        In short, Simon transformed from Simon “Scowl” to Simon “Warm, Friendly, Human Being.”

                        Then our conversation took a more serious tone when Simon mentioned the word “responsibility.”  This was not a word he or the other producers on the show took lightly.  From the initial auditions until the season finale, the producers realize that they are responsible for making their contestants famous, and everything good and bad that goes along with that.  They understand that fame can bring about self-destruction in some cases, and they try to manage these kids very closely.  The producers know they have to be on top of things from the birth of an idol’s career to its eventual end.

                        I told Simon I knew what he meant.  My wife tells dog breeders virtually the same thing all the time.  If they want to raise puppies, dog breeders have to accept that they are responsible for each puppy for the rest of its life---another cradle to grave situation.  If something happens to a puppy, such as a physical or behavioral problem, or something happens to the owner and the pet needs a new home, the original breeder must accept that “the buck stops” with them.

                        I have encountered a situation of “breeder responsibility” recently with my favorite breed of sheep.  I was appointed by our association president to chair a committee investigating a potential genetic problem in our breed.  As part of that investigation, the committee needed to evaluate pedigrees from some of the sheep involved to see if they had common ancestors.

                        Boy, did that open up a can of worms!  Several breeders objected vehemently, and at least one brought up that magical, put an end to all reasoning word “sue.”

                        It is my belief that when you buy a sheep, or any other animal for that matter, you are buying every ancestor behind that animal as well.  As it turns out, our association registration papers are public records so anybody can look at them anytime, for any reason.

                        If you want to be an animal breeder, you must be responsible for what is produced, both in the past, and into the future.  And, if you can’t take the heat, then get out of the kitchen, or the barn, or the dog kennel.

                        Simon and I finally had to say our good-byes, and then…I woke up.  I forgot to mention at the beginning of the column that the part about Simon was just a dream.

                        Nevertheless, dream experts say dreams reveal things about ourselves.  But, do dreams reveal things about other people we dream about?  For Simon’s sake, I’d like to think so.

Author:  Dr. John Jones
Image courtesy of James Barker at FreeDigitalPhotos.net

No comments:

Post a Comment