Sunday, May 17, 2015

“I Don’t Always Bark, But When I Do…I Bark For Life!”



 
 
                 
                                 I want to make one point perfectly clear.  I do NOT have cancer, nor do I want to have cancer.  However, cancer has touched my life… in more ways than one.  For those who know me well, or even not so well, you probably know at least one fact about me.  I am passionate about “Finishing the Fight” against cancer.  In the spring of 2013 I found a way to combine my love of caring for pets and their people with my passion to prevent and cure cancers in both, through the Delphos Relay for Life mini-relay, “Bark for Life.”

                                The first question I am commonly asked is “What is Bark for Life?”  According to the American Cancer Society, “Bark for Life is a fundraising event honoring the life-long contributions of our Canine Caregivers.  It presents an opportunity for people to be empowered through their canine companion partnerships and to contribute to cancer cures thorough the mission of the American Cancer Society (ACS).”

                                More specifically, I would define the Delphos Bark for Life as a fun, easy way to raise money for the ACS by collecting donations from friends, family members, co-workers, business associates and even people you do not know, to take your dog(s) for a walk in beautiful , shady Leisure Park on a lovely, summer day in the middle of June.  And, to top it off, you get to enjoy FREE ice cream provided by Delphos’ Creamery, FREE brats and hotdogs grilled by cancer survivor Pam Wade, and a FREE pedicure for your  dog(s) courtesy of Elida Dog Grooming…all for an advanced  registration fee  of  $10.00 per dog!

                                Another question I am commonly asked is “Why?”  Why am I passionate about Bark for Life and why do I rally for Relay for Life?  When I first introduced the Bark for Life concept to my staff, I asked them to ask themselves “Who among us has not been touched by cancer?”  Several of my employees have lost parents or other relatives to cancer, and currently, one employee has a daughter fighting for her life and another just lost a sister because of cancer diagnoses.

                                More personally, my father died of oat cell carcinoma of his lungs, my husband’s father succumbed to lymphoma, and his maternal uncle lost a battle to leukemia.  With these loved ones in mind, why wouldn’t I rally?  Sadly, odds are that when we are rallying, the life we all may be fighting for could be our own, as cancer does not discriminate! 

                                Those who have attended the Delphos Bark for Life in the past would agree that it is not only a walk in the park for a great cause with your canine family member, but also a really good time in the company of other dog lovers.  You will enjoy seeing people smile as dogs congregate with tails wagging, eager for a walk and something new to stimulate them.

                                So, Delphos Bark for Life is something I AM passionate about because I have seen its success in raising almost $18,000 in just two years.  Delphos area ACS representatives have shared with me that my Delphos Bark for Life team has been a leader for the entire state of Ohio for funds raised and increasing awareness for this growing fundraiser.  I will be the first to sing the praises of my Delphos Animal Hospital staff family, as they have been phenomenal in their efforts to make Bark for Life a highly successful event for the Delphos Relay for Life.

                                By education and profession, I am a scientist.  I have learned and I believe that cancer is a mistake.  It is the result of a rogue cell in our bodies that gets away with murder. We need and must discover ways to stop or change these rogue cells, and turn them into cancer fighters instead.  Research funding is the key to turning the “bad guy” cells in to “good guys.” Cancer studies today are highly sophisticated and increasingly successful, but the need for them is never-ending, as cancer knows no boundaries.

                                I hope this gives you an understanding of why I am passionate about involving dogs in ACS fundraising through Bark for Life.  Please know that dogs and people are in cancer trials together and that canines DO benefit from cancer research as well.  In addition, I have surveyed cancer survivors as to how their pets helped them in their fight and their responses are always the same:  dogs demonstrate unconditional love, bring  joy and security, and they do not judge.  In short, just as cancer doesn’t discriminate, dogs don’t either.

                                Will we see you and your dog at Delphos Bark for Life? 
 
By Dr. Bonnie Jones                            
           
 


 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment