Sunday, August 30, 2015

A Near Perfect Farm Call By Dr. John Jones

                                                


             It was a perfect summer day. The temperature was in the seventies, the humidity low, and the clouds were high in the vibrant blue sky. So when I saw the message from Amy Stechschulte that read “limping fair pigs”, I was almost relieved to have an excuse to leave the office.

            I first met Amy and her family two years ago when they had a minor rectal prolapse problem with one of their 4-H hogs. Last year involved a few visits, unfortunately, as they dealt with some sick pigs. Ironically, I happened to be thinking of them the morning Amy called, and wondering if they even had any pigs this year. Evidently, they did, but until the limping pig epidemic started a few days before, no problems had arisen.

            As I approached their well kept farm, I saw four kids manning a “sweet corn for sale” stand in the front yard, and when I turned into the driveway they all made a bee-line to the barn. It was a scene I think Norman Rockwell would have appreciated. I know I did.

            When I started veterinary practice thirty years ago, I was only seven years removed from my own 4-H days. At that time every animal, except rabbits, going to the county fair needed a health certificate signed by a veterinarian. In addition, hogs needed to be blood tested for a disease called pseudorabies. Although I enjoyed the camaraderie of the kids, and the chance to relive my youth vicariously, the work could be exhausting.

            From late May until nearly September, I stayed busy preparing papers for children from Putnam, Paulding, Allen, and Van Wert counties. That involved a lot of driving, crawling in and out of pens, boot washing, and coverall changing. Moreover, stooping down to get blood out of a pig is very hard on one’s knees, and just about everything else. By the end of summer, I was ready for the fairs to be over.

            After a few years, pseudorabies was eradicated from Ohio, and the Ohio Department of Agriculture deemed testing no longer necessary, nor was the requirement for county fair health papers. “Yippee!”  I felt like a kid given summer vacation. I didn’t think I would ever miss those days.

            Then last year as I was walking through the aisles of 4-H and FFA animals at the Allen County Fair, it hit me. I hadn’t a clue who most of those kids were.  Unless they had a problem earlier in the summer with their project, I knew nothing about them, or their animals. The sense of loss was profound.  Apparently, I missed those summers with the kids more than I thought.

            At the Stechschulte farm, my assistants were three sixth-grade boys and a fourth-grade girl. Inside their barn, the pens were neatly arranged and immaculate, as were the hogs. In spite of this great care, though, four of the pigs had become lame.

 Modern show pigs have muscles of such mass and definition Arnold Schwarzenegger would be envious. This conformation combined with the increased walking the kids do to train the pigs in the weeks leading up to the fair, puts a great amount of stress on the joints, especially the hock joint in the rear leg.

            I appointed Logan to be in charge of the hog snare, a noose-like device used for restraint, much like a twitch on a horse. He held each pig still while I took their temperature and performed an exam. Three of the pigs had swollen hocks, and two had a slight fever.

            Our plan was to treat each pig with an injection of Draxxin, an antibiotic used to treat an infectious arthritis caused by Mycoplasma bacteria, and two different anti-inflammatories. Because each drug had virtually the same dosage, was clear as water, and my coveralls had only so many pockets, I assigned each of my other three assistants the task of holding syringes. Abby was “Dexamethasone Girl,” Caleb held the Draxxin, and neighbor Max handled the Banamine. As the Amish say, “Many hands make light work,” and soon our job was done.

            Thank you, kids, for taking me back to the old days, even if it was for just a short while. And thank you, also, for the help with your fine bunch of pigs. It was a nearly perfect visit for this old vet. I only wish I had bought some corn.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment