Sunday, October 18, 2015

My Van Wert County Summer Camp

 
                  
          Most would call it the Van Wert County Fair. But when I entered the Junior Fair Board office that Tuesday evening to begin my duties as fair veterinarian, and saw my old friends, Paul, Heather, and Nick, already busy at work,  I was overcome with a feeling that this must be what it’s like to go to summer camp, an experience I never had as a kid.
            Paul Pohlman is the vocational agriculture teacher at Crestview High School, Heather Gottke is Program Coordinator for 4-H Development at OSU Extension, and Nick Wolford is a Junior Fair Board advisor. Until a couple of fairs ago, now retired Lincolnview vo-ag teacher, Tony Campbell, was the fourth member of the quartet. For the past few years, I’ve had the pleasure of spending the week leading up to Labor Day watching them work with the county’s youth in putting on a superb junior fair. In addition to their own jobs, they also help me with mine.
            As a fair veterinarian my responsibilities are two-fold. First is to maintain the health of all the animals on the fairgrounds, except the racehorses- another veterinarian, Dr. Kessen, cares for them. Secondly, I’m directed by the Ohio Department of Agriculture to collect hair and urine samples from the champion and reserve champion market steer, hog, and lamb. The purpose of this is to ensure that no banned substances, including antibiotics, hormones, or anti-inflammatories, enter the food chain.
            This year, however, I almost turned down the gig. A bit of a neck problem, the result of age and accumulated large animal mishaps, left me with some coordination and mobility issues. I didn’t feel I was up to the task. And I wasn’t. As it turned out, though, I didn’t have to be. I received a lot of support, not just from Paul, Heather, and Nick, but from virtually everyone I encountered.
            Fortunately, this year there were no major health matters to deal with, unlike 2013 when we had the swine influenza scare. There were, however, several sick calves with respiratory infections. But the cattle people were especially accommodating of my condition, and even though some of the calves were close to six-hundred pounds in weight, their owners secured them in such a way that I was never in danger. Happily, the treatments were successful and their recoveries uneventful.
            As for the sample collecting, normally my wife helps me. Bonnie will follow one of the champions as soon as they are chosen, and I’ll follow the other. A missed opportunity to catch urine could mean a wait for hours until the next chance. To collect from the steers isn’t much of a problem. To collect from the pigs and lambs, on the other hand, often requires quick, athletic moves -  moves I just didn’t have any more. Luckily, Amanda Lobsiger, former goat princess and now veterinary assistant at our hospital, provided those moves for me, and she did an excellent job.
            For completeness sake, Bonnie insisted that I tell of her exploit. Apparently, as the champion pig was picked he began to urinate. Bonnie, on the other side of the ring, raced over and practically made a diving catch of the stream. Although I didn’t see it, from the reaction of the crowd and Paul’s high-five, it must have been spectacular.
            The pigs even cooperated for the hair collection. Historically, this has been our most challenging mission. To clip enough hair from a hog to fill the sample cup isn’t easy, especially if the hog doesn’t feel obliging. After all the urine was collected, both hogs, apparently exhausted from the show, laid down to nap, unbothered by the clippers as we carried forth with our depilating assignment.
            Forty hours after I said good-bye to my three fair amigos, I was on a surgery table at Cleveland Clinic’s Lutheran Hospital. One of my last thoughts before the journey to “la la land” was of the fair. I was so grateful to be able to participate this year, and even prayed I’d make it back in 2016.  
            I guess it’s pretty safe to say that I love the Van Wert County Fair. To me it falls under the category of “the way things should be,” and has provided more happy memories than any summer camp ever could.  If you’ve never been, I suggest you come next year and enjoy the fair. I’ll see you there.
 
By Dr. John H. Jones
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment