Sunday, August 14, 2016

Does Your Pet Have Bad Manners?

 
                                                                  
                                                                    

One of the things I really loved about veterinary school at Ohio State is the opportunity I had to learn about animal behavior and "behavior modification." In addition to learning about it as I went through clinics, the staff and faculty emphasized low-stress handling and behavior modification to try to provide the best experience possible for patients.
Many people aren't familiar with the term behavior modification, but it is invaluable in the veterinary setting. Our goal is to modify behavior through the use of positive reinforcements. Whether you own an older dog or a new puppy, behavior modification is a technique that can be readily employed at home as well. 
Behavior modification is something I have been working on with my own dogs. They weren't always big fans of being brushed so I would sit down every evening and feed them hot dogs pieces while I brushed them. It’s amazing how when you associate something they don’t like with a yummy treat, how quickly an animal can warm up to the situation. My dogs now get excited when they see the brush come out.  
The same can be said when my little Miniature American Shepherd gets excited and anxious when she sees rabbits everywhere on our morning runs. Her anxiety for rabbits is not a behavior I wanted to foster, nor did I want her yanking on my arm at the end of her leash, knowing the 55lb Golden Retriever would follow suit. As soon as I spot a furry friend, I immediately ask her to "watch me," which means look at me. Then I feed her treats. We repeated this process several times. Now when she sees a rabbit, she immediately turns to me instead of taking chase. I reward her for staying focused on me, and we continue our run. 
We do the same thing in the veterinary setting for patients that don’t like blood draws or show fear in the veterinary hospital. For example, we distract fearful dogs who don't like toenail trims by feeding them treats. They then associate being on a table for something they dislike, with treats.  
Behavior modification is an invaluable tool when working with any animal. I'm always happy to discuss training tips with owners to improve their relationship with their pet as well as their pet's relationship with me and the veterinary team. 


By Dr. Jill Dentel

1 comment:

  1. Hello! This post couldn’t be written any better! Reading this post reminds me of my previous room mate! He always kept chatting about this. I will forward this page to him. Fairly certain he will have a good read. Thank you for sharing!
    _____________________________
    Dog Trainers Northern Virginia

    ReplyDelete