Sunday, October 30, 2016

Physical and Mental Health for Your Dog

                                                          

          My dogs mean the world to me. They make my day, especially at the end of a really long work day. With that in mind, I don’t want my schedule as a veterinarian to have a negative impact on them when I’m not home. With this in mind, I have worked hard to come up with a plan to keep them busy while I’m at work.

          First, I turned my kitchen into a safe play area for them. I don’t want them living in a crate all day, but given that the two of them are under two years old, free reign of my apartment is not an option, for their safety nor the safety of my possessions!

          After ensuring the environment was danger-free, I started putting together a collection of food toys for them to enjoy while I’m gone. My dogs rarely eat from a food bowl. When they do, the food is gone in five minutes and then they don’t have anything to do. I fill treat balls with kibble so that while I’m away, they can roll them around to get their meals.

         In addition, I have a collection of Kong toys and ever-lasting treat toys that I fill every evening with a mixture of canned dog food, green beans, carrots, sweet potatoes, and their dog kibble. Once they are filled, I freeze them so that instead of being gone in under 10 minutes, it gives my pups something that is yummy and healthy to work on for a  more extended time period. 

         I also use a spare water bowl to freeze layers of water, canned food, kibble and treats together so they have something to work on that keeps them interested for a long time. Since my miniature American Shepherd likes to shred things, another cheap and fun idea I use for her is to put treats and kibble in an empty cereal box that I tape shut. She loves to shred the box to get to the good surprises inside. It does leave my kitchen looking like a cardboard snow storm, but it is worth it to know she is entertained while I’m away and clean-up is quick in the evening.

          So many canine behavior problems, from anxiety to inappropriate social behavior, stem from not having enough things to stimulate them mentally or to help them expend their energy. Having a dog is a commitment...a commitment to their physical health, including good food and veterinary care, and to their mental health.

          Working breeds (German Shepherds, Aussies, Border Collies, and more) will require more physical and mental enrichment than others, as they were bred to do a job. They tend not to thrive well in a home with nothing to do all day. However, ALL dogs need mental and physical stimulation in some manner to keep life interesting and keep them well.


Dr. Jill Dentel is an associate veterinarian at Delphos Animal Hospital.

1 comment:

  1. I think mimicking popular posts on other blogs is one of the best ways to get a good idea which will be popular.Such a lovely blog you have shared here with us. Really nice.
    _________________________
    Long island dog trainers

    ReplyDelete