Sunday, January 22, 2017

A New Cat's Purpose

                                                                           
                                                                               

            I haven't seen the movie, "A Dog's Purpose,"  but from the trailer which has been played repeatedly on television, it appears to deal with the reincarnation of a pet. Recently, my wife and I had some firsthand experience with this subject. Although, in retrospect, I think I have had some experience with this phenomenon most of my life.

            Border Collies have been part of my existence since I was six years old. Last year I wrote a column, "My Two Wives and Me," about the somewhat complicated relationship between my Border Collie "wife," Robbie, and my real wife, Bonnie. Robbie isn't my first dog wife. Since I was twenty-two, I have had three. Robbie came after Chrissy III, who came after her mother, Chrissy II.

             All three were typical female Border Collies- hard working and endlessly devoted to me, but with a hint of bossiness. Their personalities and behavior were so alike that I often find it difficult to keep the memories straight. So, is this reincarnation or do I just select dogs with similar traits that I like?

             A few weeks ago, the topic of reincarnation came to light again with the introduction of a new kitten to our family. His name is Stevie, and he sports a fine black and white tuxedo coat.    

            Bonnie has had a thing for black and white cats ever since she adopted a kitten named Porky, from her first job in Lima. He had a nice long life and lived to be eighteen. His successor, Jobey, joined our family when he "followed" me home from a farm call nearly seven years ago.

            Jobey quickly became the animal spark in my wife's heart. I hesitate to say she loved him more than me, but it may be closer than I'd like to think. He was more dog-like than cat, would greet us at the back door, and liked to sleep between our pillows at night. In addition, he had a penchant for hogging my kitchen chair and rolling on my day's clothes left at the end of the bed while I showered.

            Sadly, Jobey died suddenly three days before Thanksgiving , the victim of one of the cruelest of  cat diseases, feline cardiomyopathy. My wife, to say the least, was also heartbroken.

            Fortunately, we have a kind and compassionate client named Jill Smith. Jill knew of  Bonnie's

loss, and of her fondness for black and whites, and generously gave her the aforementioned Stevie, a kitten she had raised from a wee lad.

            The strangest thing happened when we brought Stevie home. He was greeted by our other cat, Diane, who as a rule, is rather antisocial. She walked right up to him, without a hiss, and touched her nose to his, in a gesture I can only describe as "Welcome home" and "Where have you been?"

            That night the little rascal slept between our pillows, although his purr wasn't nearly as loud as Jobey's. The next morning he went right to my clothes, and did what he apparently was compelled to do. Not kind of like Jobey, but exactly.

            Last Sunday, my wife was sitting at our kitchen table reading The Lima News. Stevie was once again sprawled out on my chair, like his predecessor. Wanting to read the paper as well, I grabbed the back of the chair and began to pull it away from the table. "Move Jo..." snuck out before I could catch myself.

            I looked apologetically at Bonnie who smiled sweetly and said, "It's okay. I've done that, too."

            This encounter with Stevie and Bonnie reinforced something I have believed for a long time. We get new pets, not to forget or replace the old ones, but to help us remember them even more. And that is a good thing.

            Of course, I'm sure most of these goings-on with Stevie can probably be explained as some sort of crazy cat behavior coincidence, and has nothing at all to do with reincarnation. Probably.

            One phenomenon I really do see on a regular basis is when their pet dies, many people will swear they'll never get another. I know the pain from a loss can be great, but please reconsider. You may be passing up a wonderful opportunity for a visit with an old friend, even if it is only a memory.

Dr. John H. Jones practices at Delphos Animal Hospital. He has a special fondness for "black and whites," canine and feline, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment