Sunday, March 1, 2015

A Friend, a Fever, and a Letter Not Forgotten




            I’m sure glad my friend, Harold, didn’t die.  I only wish his veterinarian had been smarter, at least smarter, sooner.

            Harold’s illness began several weeks ago.  He thought he had the flu.  But instead of getting better in a few days, his symptoms worsened.  He became more tired and weak, his lungs more congested, and he had a strange skin rash.  By the time he went to his doctor, his temperature was 104 degrees.  Harold was diagnosed with pneumonia and hospitalized for 4 days, where he received I.V. antibiotics.

            Following his release, he felt better for a week or so, but then his symptoms returned.

            I met Harold soon after I arrived in Delphos.  His farm was one of the first my boss, Dr. Laman, took me to, and we vaccinated and castrated baby pigs.  I have a feeling Dr. Laman thought Harold and I would become friends, and he was right.

            Early on, I realized Harold was a special person by how he respected and cared for his elderly parents.  If how you treat your parents is any indication of whether you will get into Heaven, Harold’s ticket was punched years ago.

            Harold has always been the “go-to” guy neighbors and friends could rely on to help with any situation.  He has been a big supporter of 4-H and has helped several neighbor kids get started in the sheep business.

            Harold is the kind of person I wish I was.  He’s the kind of person I wish everyone was.  It was distressing to see such a nice man be so sick.

            I didn’t fully realize how bad he felt, though, until he asked me to vaccinate his lambs.  Usually, Harold did this himself, but he just didn’t feel strong enough.

            We arranged to do this on Good Friday morning, so his posse of neighbor kids could help me.  In a little over an hour, we vaccinated, dewormed, and castrated the male lambs – 45 in all.  I would like to thank these kids – Zac, Kellen, Jared and Megan.  They were some of the best helpers I have ever had.

            A few evenings later, I got a late start on my chores.  Along about nine o’clock as I was watering the last group of sheep, I heard one of them cough.  That is when it dawned on me – Harold had Q-fever!

            I turned on the computer, typed “Q-fever”, clicked the mouse a couple of times, and there it all was – the history, the symptoms, the relapse.  The only thing missing was a picture of Harold.


            Q-fever is a zoonotic disease, spread from animals to humans, and is caused by the bacteria, Coxiella burnetii.  Commonly found in cattle, sheep, and goats, it doesn’t usually cause clinical disease in these species, although it can cause abortion in sheep and goats.  The organism can be excreted in milk, urine, and feces.  Q-fever is one of the many reasons why only pasteurized milk should be consumed.

            The bacteria may also become dried in the manure, aerosolized and inhaled.  This may be how Harold was infected, although he did admit he sometimes delivers lambs without wearing gloves.  Shame on you Harold; although, I probably won’t be tossing any stones your way.

            In addition to causing flu symptoms and pneumonia, left untreated, a chronic form of Q-fever may develop, affecting the heart, causing death in up to 65% of patients. Q-fever can also cause abortion in humans, so pregnant women should avoid being around sheep and goats.

            Since it was getting late and I didn’t want to wake him, I decided to call Harold the next morning.  That was good timing.  He had another doctor’s appointment two hours later.

            Harold’s physician checked his sources, agreed with our presumptive diagnosis, drew some blood for testing, and started Harold on doxycycline, the antibiotic of choice.  Within 2 days, Harold was feeling much better and has continued to improve.  Talking with him on the phone a few minutes ago, as I write this, he sounded like his old self again. 

            This wasn’t the first time I’ve played an R.D. (real doctor).  Numerous clients have taken it upon themselves to show me various skin lesions and oozing infected incisions.  Yuck!  Harold’s case has been my most successful and certainly most important one thus far. 

            If you raise sheep or goats and acquire a mysterious ailment, don’t forget to tell your physician you do so.  Conversely, if you are receiving treatment for a condition and are not responding, don’t forget to tell your veterinarian.  Sometimes we vets can out “D” even the real doctors!

Author: Dr. John Harvey Jones
The American Southdown Journal- Fall 2007


No comments:

Post a Comment