Sunday, November 22, 2015

Attitude of Gratitude: This Veterinarian Counts Her Many Blessings

                                                                    
                        My original intention for this particular column was to write about my “pet peeves” in veterinary practice.  In fact, I had written three detailed paragraphs of peeves, before I realized the very negative tone my column was taking on. At that moment, I decided instead to celebrate the “reason for the season” and acknowledge the things in veterinary medicine that I am grateful for. With apologies to my turkey patients, I would like to share my reasons for being a “thankful veterinarian.”
 

                        Without a doubt, my greatest delight in my profession is the numerous opportunities I have on a daily basis for hands-on contact with my four-legged patients. I feel so very blessed to be able to see, pet, talk to and care for animals day in and day out. My day and every veterinarian’s day is naturally filled with heartwarming, blood pressure-lowering experiences that make smiles frequent and easy.
 

                         Over time, veterinary professionals become experts at animal body language and I love being able to discern what pets so desperately want to communicate.  Nothing is better than the Golden Retriever whose exuberance overwhelms him as he flops belly-side up at my feet, or the tail-less Welsh Corgi that must “wag” her entire bottom to share her joy at my appearance. 
 

During my daily toilings, I also get to be “schmoozed” by my feline patients that have lowered themselves to my “human level” to participate in my physical examinations. In addition, I’m keenly aware of my unhappy feline patients’ vocabularies and airplane ears when they disapprove of my actions.  I have learned from many of my feline patients that I must aspire to “schmooze” them if I truly want to win acceptance into their club.
 

Not all of my patients are jubilant to see me, and therefore, I take on challenges of winning their love in my daily activities. I actually enjoy assessing a situation with an unruly animal and turning it into a more pleasant and safe experience for all involved.  Often, these situations involve working with the animal, not against it.  I am grateful for the ability to seize the moment, if you will, to bring order to an often well-deserved animal protest. 
                                                                 

Another great pleasure for me is being able to bring my own pets to work everyday.  While I strongly believe that there should be pets somewhere in every workplace, I also realize that this rarely happens. I am so very fortunate that there is no question that my pets will be at my place of employment.  They give me tremendous gratification as they share my daily life and I would have it no other way.

 
I am also deeply appreciative of the fact that I am not only surrounded by animals, my love and livelihood, but also by exceptional, animal-adoring people, my employees.  Support staff in a veterinary office are special people with inherent compassion and kindness for animals and people.  I take great pride in hiring and maintaining employees who reflect my own adoration of and desire to care for animals and people.
 

Veterinarians and their employees participate in another daily experience that brings enchantment to all of us, namely the observation of the “human-animal bond.” To view the love and kindness that is shared between humans and animals is an unsurpassed experience that I am delighted by everyday, be it at a proud puppy owner’s first visit or during a heartrending goodbye to an aged or ailing pet. I am so very grateful that there will always be animals and there will always be people who love them unconditionally.
 

Undoubtedly, my greatest blessing in life has been my veterinary education. A few years ago at a Thanksgiving gathering as my family sat down to a feast-filled table, we took a moment to each express what we were grateful for.  Some searched to come up with an expression of gratitude, but it was a no-brainer for me.  Besides my family, my greatest gift in life is my veterinary education, as it has given me everything in my life that makes me who I am…from the ability to have a happy marriage to another veterinarian and a home on a beautiful farm with animals I adore, to a job that I can whole-heartedly and still say I am thankful for and love.


By Dr. Bonnie Jones

No comments:

Post a Comment